Friday, March 6, 2009

The grand-marshal of the parade of socks

For the next several days I will be posting Project Details on the socks I have finished in the last couple months. I will start with Angela's Crusoe Socks.

Project Name: Crusoe
Used: Size 2 Crystal Palace Bamboo DPN's. Knit Picks Imaginations Evil Stepmother Sock yarn.
Details: I heavily modified this pattern. I cast on 64 sts. I used Kithicknits cuff instead of the suggested. I then used the pattern as written until I got to the heel. (The cuff measured 2.5" and added 3.5" of pattern repeat.)
I used 33 sts for the heel. I took one stitch from the end of the sts held for the instep. I did 30 rows for the heel flap using a modified version of both the written pattern and the French heel with the seam from Knitting Vintage Socks book By Nancy Bush. Once I picked up the gusset I added the stitch back to the instep needle. I then knit the foot as pattern written until the foot measured 6.98". Then I changed the toe and used the French Toe also from Knitting Vintage Socks. It makes a "V" on the top of the toe. (I am not particularly fond of this toe nor do I think I am of any of the toes written in the book but we will see how that plays out on future socks.) One last mod is that I kitchnered the last 12 sts instead of pulling yarn through and cinching.
Well I hope the explanation makes sense on how I made these socks. As soon as I finished them I immediately wound the yarn and then cast on for the Nutkin socks. I have already finished the hemmed cuff but the bragging for that will be in a future post. :)

No comments: