Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The veil of grief has lifted

Well, I am finally getting to a place where I can breath again. After my shawl died, training became a whirlwind of MD-80 cancellations, being thrust onto the phone during the "crisis" and trying to keep my head above water.

I am now into day 2 of my new 3 days off a week pattern. I think this will work fine for me. I work 4pm-12:30am Fri-Mon and am off Tues, Wed, and Thurs. I feel I have told this story before but I may be repeating it for my own sanity LOL!

I totally lost it on our graduation day. I felt totally unprepared to be thrust into the vast sea that is Domestic Sales at American Airlines. You may think making a reservation is easy (especially if you've done it online) but you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. So next time you are on the phone making a reservation for anything. Make sure you have at least 5 min to devote to the call and be kind to the person on the other end. They are doing everything they can to make you happy for as low a price as possible. Oh, and if you are making a change to something. Have 15 min to spend and be super kind b/c that is a whole other world of hurt being rained down on your representative. :) (Not that I am biased or anything).

Well enough of that dribble and on to knitting things. Well, I finished the April-May Lace Arm warmers for Nassau. They were a little big on her but they will work. I used Lion's Brand Micro spun that I got from Jess.

--Jess, I love you and I appreciate anything you give me but that yarn is a *itch to knit with. It knotted more times than I care to discuss and the middle was so jacked up that I ended up having to throw away 1/2 the ball and start with a new skein. I'm not sure if that happened because it wasn't wrapped in the label and unwound and got crazy or what but I cursed you a thousand times and am only a little sorry about it. Next time you give away yarn and it's all a mess do like they used to say at Blockbuster. "Be kind, Rewind." Love bunches, Eileen--

The yarn was a little diva-ish but the product came out beautifully. One of my other co-workers Janine and one of my teachers Debbi want a pair now. So I am going to knit them up for them. I don't mind b/c they are my friends and I can get both pairs out of one skein. However, other classmates who have never really talked to me before want me to make them some, and in different colors. I am thinking "I don't think so, not even when you don't offer to at least pitch in for yarn." I enjoy knitting "gifts" but it's not a gift if you ask for it and then demand all sorts of exceptions for your item. Am I alone in this? I hope not.

Currently I will be getting caught up on my April mid-month dishcloth KAL, doing those "gloves" and finally starting on Allysia's present for the baby shower. I can't wait until I feel confident enough at work that I can knit while taking calls. Currently I am reading and every time I pick up my book another call comes in. It never fails LOL!

In closing, I want to say thank you to those of you who have been patient and willing to keep my blog in your list of ones to read even though I have been AWOL. Hopefully you'll get 2-3 if not more posting a week and then as thing progress and I get batteries for my camera even more.

Love to all,

Eileen AKA Purling kitty

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey, I only ever knit with one of those balls of microspun, the rest were new. I also gave the yarn to you with the caution that it was finicky and evil and that I hated it, so you should have known what to expect. No cursing me :P

I tend to not make gifts for people who ask for them, because I don't like making the same thing over and over. If someone says that they'd like something, I keep it in mind and then make them a similar thing (hat, gloves, etc) in the future, but I don't make the same thing for 5 people because they want it. Only people who appreciate how much effort goes into a handknit get a handknit. :)

LiquidLace said...

Hi Purling Kitty,
Please get in touch on Ravelry.
Thanks!